5.01.2014

(review) harp's Song by Cassie Shine

Harp's Song by Cassie Shine
Series: Harp's Song #1
Release date: (First Published) November 4th 2013
Publisher: Self-Published
Source: netgalley
Harp's Song (Harp's Song #1)
In just a few months Harp Evans will be officially coming of age and graduating from high school. She will be free from the mother that never wanted her, the house that never felt like home, and the disappointment of the last seventeen years. What she doesn’t know is that her mother has been holding onto a secret that has the potential to derail her dreams and destroy her already faulty sense of self.

A self-proclaimed recluse, Harp spends most of her time practicing the cello, in the hopes of earning a full scholarship that will grant her freedom, but will also send her away from her best friend Connor Williams, who is becoming more than just a friend.

As revelations are made, will Harp still feel the same way about leaving everyone that cares about her behind? Or will she continue to pursue the life she’s been dreaming of, for as long as she can remember?


NOTE
This review might contain spoilers. If you wish to continue reading, click 'READ FURTHER' below 

This novel is the exact definition of 'harsh'. At least it is for me. There is so many things going on in my head right now...

Harp Evans is probably the strongest person mentally that I've ever met. Everything is awesome for Harp, except for the existence of her abusive mother. Harp is more then ready to move far far away from her mother and start a new life to build her dream. Thank God Harp is not alone in all this crap, she has Connor, the best friend and the most amazing guy ever.

As I said before, Harp is really strong. All those words her mother throw at her was just messed up, but then when I come to hate Anne (the mother), she told Harp what really happened to her on the past and that is even more messed up, Anne's life I mean. How the hell she survived getting raped by her own sister's fiancee and getting pregnant at 17! I can't believe her parents still let the wedding take place after Anne told them what happened. God I hate everyone. I won't spoil everything here so let's just stop right there. What Anne did to Harp was also messed up, and I didn't approve of it, but I totally didn't approve of what Anne's family did to her. That, people, is a new definition of messed up. So by now, I couldn't tell you which character are the protagonist and which are the antagonist, lots of twist here. But Connor the best friend is always on the white side. He's the light in Harp's life and I know that without him she wouldn't survive. Love him so much.

I love the writing style. It was beautifully written in first person. The moment I started reading this, I could practically feel Harp's feelings as if it was my own, and it was pretty damn painful. Yes, the writing style pulls me that much. And have I mention that this book is a total page turner? yes, I finished it in like a few hours in total.

Overall, I give this book two thumbs up for making me cry so much. Love this book even though it was a really painful journey. So excited to read the next book! (I don't know if I can wait)

Rating:
5 EYES OPEN (5/5)


2 comments:

  1. What an amazing review! Thank you so much! <3!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for writing such an amazing book! glad you liked my review :)

      Delete

Share your thoughts!