8.09.2013

(review) Divergent by Veronica Roth

Divergent by Veronica Roth
Series: Divergent #1
Release date: (UK version) February 2nd 2012
Publisher: Harper Collins
Pages: 489
Source: Bought (paperback)
Rating: ★★★


In Beatrice Prior's dystopian Chicago, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue--Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is--she can't have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself.During the highly competitive initiation that follows, Beatrice renames herself Tris and struggles to determine who her friends really are--and where, exactly, a romance with a sometimes fascinating, sometimes infuriating boy fits into the life she's chosen. But Tris also has a secret, one she's kept hidden from everyone because she's been warned it can mean death. And as she discovers a growing conflict that threatens to unravel her seemingly perfect society, she also learns that her secret might help her save those she loves . . . or it might destroy her. 



I think it would be nice to start this book blog from where it all started (my reading habits, I mean). This might sound a bit too much but Divergent really do change me regarding my views toward books with no pictures (click on about me for more information). It was a really good decision to start this book, because Divergent is just the type of book that glues you within the pages. And first of all, please people, stop comparing other dystopian books with Hunger Games. Don't be wrong though, I loved Hunger Games, it's just that, I think Divergent is as good or even better than Hunger Games instead of similar.

 From the moment I saw my friend reading this book in class, I was instantly captivated with the cover (She's reading the UK version) which is really beautiful. Then I was totally excited to read the book myself when she (my friend) lends me her book a few seconds, so I could read the synopsis on the back cover.  The dystopian world that Veronica Roth created was really interesting and creative. The citizens in the story was divided into five factions based on their personalities, Candor (honest), Abnegation (selflessness), Dauntless (brave), Erudite (knowledgeable), and Amity (peaceful).  


The thing I loved from this book other than the awesome writing is Tris (Beatrice Prior) and Four (not spoiling his real name). Tris, our heroine wasn't the type of character that stays like that in the whole story, she was this shy teenage girl that grows into this bad-ass female character, and maybe it's because of that it was easier for us to connect to the story and feel as if she was a real living girl instead of a mere fiction character. And then there is Four. You know, there is always this male character in a YA novel for us, fangirls, and Four is exactly that.  


Spectacular writing, everything was explained well, no unnecessary characters, and the main character was bad-ass! what's not to love? (I'm really excited for this book to come out as a movie, click here to check it out!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts!