8.09.2013

(review) Insurgent by Veronica Roth

Insurgent by Veronica Roth
Series: Divergent #2
Release date: May 1nd 2013
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books
Pages: 525
Source: Bought (hardcover)
Rating: ★★★★★


One choice can transform you, or destroy you. Every choice has consequences, and as unrest surges in the factions all around her, Tris Prior must continue trying to save those she loves, and herself, while grappling with haunting questions of grief and forgiveness, identity and loyalty, politics and love.


Since Divergent I've been craving this book for months and when the time comes, I've got to admit that it does not dissapoint. Although I read a lot of trilogy and series, I'm actually not quite a fan of sequels, because there's this case where the second book or the other sequels were such a disappointment compared to the first book, and it happens a lot. But thank God Insurgent wasn't anything like that. Divergent was still better than Insurgent though.

The book started exactly where the first book left, the way to Amity. Tris and the others were seeking for sanctuary at the Amity, but stuffs happened (of course, if nothing happened there wouldn't be any story). Tris, our main character was still the kickass heroine we all familiar with, but through Insurgent I found her a bit irritating sometimes, but then again she wouldn't felt like a real living character without her flaws. And did I mention that she cuts her hair? yeah (wait, it's not that big of a spoiler, right?) I think she'd look awesome with short hair. Tobias for me is still the hot tobias, he also had his flaws but that's the advantage of becoming the swoon-worth male character in a YA novel, you'd always look good no matter what you do (well, at least that's the way I felt). Despite my love toward Tobias I've actually had a crush on Tris's brother Caleb since Divergent, and I am really torn when he decided to turn toward the wrong path.

Tris's and Tobias's relationship go through lots of arguments and fights within this book. I found the plot so full of events that I kind of felt tired mentally (lol) it was like Veronica Roth fills up every single gap she could use in the timeline. It was a good thing, I think, because nothing felt unnecessary, it was either filled with Tobias and Tris arguing about stuff or many other conflicts. Wait, if it's tight with conflicts then why the hell do you call it a good thing? well, because at the end Veronica Roth manage to overcome all those conflicts with the perfect (and not forced) solutions. And the major twist in the end was really cool, I'm kinda proud of the Priors.

So, yeah, despite the flaws of the characters and the tiring conflicts, it doesn't change the fact that the writing was absolutely amazing. Not as good as the first book, but it still manage to glue me within the pages. Amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts!