11.23.2013

(review) The Ugly Stepsister Strikes Back by Sariah Wilson

The Ugly Stepsister Strikes Back by Sariah Wilson
Release date: August 15th 2013
Publisher: Fire & Ice Books
Pages: 194
Source: Bought (ebook)

Everyone knows how all those fairy tales go. The princess gets beautiful, nabs her prince, falls instantly in love, lives happily ever after and leaves her evil stepsisters in the dust. But what happens when you’re the ugly stepsister and your obnoxiously perfect—read pretty, smart, and, worst of all, sickeningly nice—stepsister is dating the charming, tall, devastatingly handsome guy you’ve had a thing for since you were nine years old?
Quirky, artistic and snarky Mattie Lowe does not lead a charmed life. Her mother is constantly belittling her on Skype. Mercedes, the school mean girl, has made it her personal mission to torment Mattie. But worst of all? Her stepsister Ella is the most beautiful, popular girl in school and is dating Mattie’s secret longtime crush, Jake Kingston. Tired of being left out and done with waiting for her own stupid fairy godmother to show up, Mattie decides to change her life. She’ll start by running for senior class president against wildly popular Jake. Ella can keep her Prince Annoying. Mattie’s going to rule the school. And no one, not even a cute and suddenly flirty Jake, is going to stop her.


I've finished reading this several days ago and I was going to review it as soon as I finished it, but then I need to go somewhere and forgot about this. Excuse excuse excuse. Well, I just want to say that I really enjoyed reading this book. And that is me saying a lot because I rarely read chicklits (This is chicklit right?) or YA without any fantasy slash paranormal in it.

This book is about Mattie Lowe, the ugly stepsister. She was full of envy with sprinkles of hatred toward her stepsister Ella, who is beautiful, caring, and everything Mattie is not. Worst of all, Ella is now dating Mattie's all time crush Jake. And as the blurb said, "Tired of being left out and done with waiting for her own stupid fairy godmother to show up, Mattie decides to change her life. She’ll start by running for senior class president against wildly popular Jake."

The plot was okay I guess. Things that I'm not really fond of about realistic fiction YAs are that, for most of them, you could guess how it would turn out. It was no different with this book. But this book was funny and really entertaining that I actually ignore all those things about the plot.

The heroine, Mattie Lowe's personality fits mine perfectly that I found it eerie. She's pessimistic, not proud of herself, and a huge fan of mangas and animes. Not a character that I would admire, but maybe it's because of her negative personality that I actually connect with the way she thinks and her decisions. Really, it was like watching myself but with the addition of fuchsia hair and a boyfriend *sigh* (I sounded pitiful). But I really enjoyed reading about her, it was interesting. Ella, the pretty stepsister was really cool. At first I was so in the Mattie Team that I disliked Ella, but it was really hard to hate her, ok, she's too nice. Then there's Jake. Jake was supposed to be the eye-candy of the book, and yes he is cute but that's it. I admit that he's really charming by the end of the book, but he left a bad impression at the beginning, so despite his charms I'm not really a fan of him.

Overall, this book is really enjoyable. You! should read this. Thanks Elle for recommending this book to me!

Rating:
3 EYES OPEN (3/5)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts!